Sunday, January 29, 2012

So this past weekend was essentially the "winter meetings" for soccer here in Connecticut. which means all my friends and I from soccer life have the opportunity to get back together during the off season. It is such a great time, especially to see everyone again after a bit of a break from the college season. The main meeting for the referees was put on for a group that was selected at the "top officials" in the state. Two of our administrators went over qualifications and what it will take to make it to the next level, the national level. Quick breakdown, refereeing here in the US is done by grade levels. You start at a grade 8 and work up to 1. 2 and 1 are international referees, the guys you see at the world cup. I am currently at grade 5 looking to go to the national referee level which obviously starts at grade 4. Refereeing is not a job, nor can you live off just refereeing, but it is a great hobby. I want nothing more than to make it o the top level. I really truly believe that nothing can stop me when it comes to this. My life has worked out so far that I have been able to be available and go to most of the places for soccer. I can't say where I will be in a year but I know that I want refereeing to be a big part of it as I go back to school. Nothing was said in our meeting yesterday that cam as a shock to me. The commitment for something that IS NOT a career is really unbelievable. Between the travelling and the schedule changing at a moments notice, it really is going to have to be one of the biggest balancing acts, but again I want nothing more than to be successful at this. From the relationship aspects of things, it really is probably one of the worst things you could ever do lol. Picking up and leaving for 2 days, coming back home for 3 maybe 4 then off for another two and that is almost 8 moths out of the year. For now, that is not the problem the only thing that it going to be more important for me right now is the $$. I will make the time, but when it comes to paying for all the plne tickets and hotel rooms and such it really adds up even after 1 trip. See the thing in soccer is that unfortunately, for the referees, compensation isn't the easiest to come by. But, I will make it work, I have to, this is what I want more than anything, well that and also to be successful in my professional life, and to be happy, blah blah blah. School is going and will continue to go, but for me this year is really about my refereeing. Between the training I have been doing so far and trying to watch as many matches as possible, really just gearing up mentally and physically for the season which starts in the second week of March (not too far away). As I mentioned before I really am where I didn't think that I was going to be at the start of 2012 and how that really is awesome and the doors are open etc. there are still times where you can't help but feel crappy, even just for a little bit, where things are right now, but when I do all I think about is the possible opportunity not what could have been (ie school, home, relationship). Things are good, just have to smile and take the next step.

"Everyday should be a good day to die"

No comments:

Post a Comment